Friday, October 1, 2010

Webcams and cupcakes

I wasn't going to write about this, but I changed my mind. I'm fired up.

First, there's the Rutger's University student who took his own life because his roommate was trying to be funny. It saddens me, angers me and makes me sick to my stomach. THIS IS NOT OK.

But Rutger's is ahead of the game when it comes to civil rights. I'm impressed to see that they were launching Project Civility prior to all of this happening.

Then there's the Indianapolis bakery that refused to make rainbow cupcakes for National Coming Out Day.  Oh, and you know how I found out about the rainbow cupcakes? Not on my local news, that's for sure. I found out about it from my BlogHer news feed! And that news feed? Yeah, it's national. Thanks local news. It's finally making the local news now, since, if you Google the issue, it comes up in the news for places like San Francisco. And the mayor is now involved! It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Discrimination is not ok.

Violation of civil rights is not ok.

Invasion if privacy is not ok.

I know there are a lot of people who don't agree with me and you're entitled to your opinion just as much as I'm entitled to mine.

But we should agree that everyone deserves to be treated with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment