Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Flea party

I've really had enough of the parasites on my pup. Seriously. I'm OCD clean and I make sure she's up-to-date on all of her medication, yet my dog is the one that the parasites are drawn to. Enough already!

Last weekend Lizzy had been sleeping in bed with me and I went to brush her hair off the sheet she lays on. Before I did that, I noticed little specks of dirt. Any normal person would brush them off and go on their way. Not me. I got out the lint roller and rolled up the "dirt" and analyzed it. It looked like tiny dead black worms. Gross. So I did what anyone would do, I Googled. Turns out it was flea poop. WHAT?!?! Lizzy is on monthly medication fro fleas and ticks. I never take her off if it because I've dealt with fleas before and it's not pleasant (and I don't need to rehash my earlier tick story). Did I mention that all of this was happening around midnight? It was a good time.

So what do I do? I decide to wait until morning to deal with it. I woke up on Sunday morning and ran the flea comb through Lizzy and found a flea on her stomach. One flea, at least it's not an infestation (yet). Then I washed and vacuumed everything she touches and crossed my fingers and hoped that it was just a fluke.

Ha. Yeah right. I got up this morning and she was scratching like crazy. I lifted up her tail and found one on the bottom of it. Ahhh! Now I'm getting concerned. I decided to give it a few more days before I call the vet and ask them why I'm paying $130 a year for something that doesn't work...and, of course, what I should do now.

I've been watching her all night to see if she scratches. I saw her do it once, but nothing like she was doing this morning. Now my brain is in overdrive (as if it isn't always like that): If she does scratch is it another flea? Or the old flea bites that haven't healed? Is the medication going to work at all? If it doesn't work, the flea eggs could hatch, right? Are there flea eggs in my carpet and spread around my house? Do I need to flea bomb the apartment? My parents are coming this weekend with their dogs, are they going to bring more parasites to join the flea party?

MAKE. IT. STOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment