Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The kindness of strangers

Every morning on my way to work I walk past the City Market and say hello to the man who shines shoes. Sometimes he wears a tan linen suit and shiny red shoes - that outfit makes me smile. We've never had any long detailed conversations. And I didn't know his name...until today.

I walked past him this morning and he said he had something for me. My guard immediately went up. He handed me a handwritten note and I'm sure I gave him a look that said something along the lines of "Oh no. What is this? Do I need to get out my mace?". He assured me that it was a good note. I thanked him and walked away. Once I rounded the corner, I opened it and read the following:


Good Morning:

I would like for you to know that you are the start of my mornings.

You are so full of spirit, a bright friendly smile and just an over all good disposition.

You have a very good day.

Sincerely, and Most Respectfully,

Chris

Talk about a nice surprise! I assumed the worst and received the best. It made my day. This goes to show you that little things in life - like saying hello and smiling at someone on the sidewalk - can make a difference in someone's day.

Thanks, Chris, for bringing some extra joy to my day.

1 comment:

  1. This literally brought tears to my eyes. People amaze me each day.

    ReplyDelete